Welcome to Year 4
Our three classes are known as Eagles, Owls and Hawks, all based around a ‘Birds of Prey’ theme. We hope to inspire and engage our pupils during the year, teach them good study habits and foster a kind approach to those around them.
All homework tasks will be set on Google Classroom.
This will be set on Friday and aimed to be completed by the following Friday.
Some homework will be discrete activities and some will be ongoing practice of basic skills like spellings and times tables.
The children are encouraged to read at least 4 times a week. We ask parents or carers to sign the reading record book to say that this has been achieved – this can be done as simply as “Read x4 this week” and signed once. We are interested in seeing the variety of books that the children are reading at home. Children then hand in their reading record on Friday morning to earn their ‘Fab 4’. This year, the children will be working as a team to achieve their Fab 4 as much as possible so it would be great if everyone could get involved regularly!
Children need to build in regular rehearsal of tables up to 12 x 12. The aim is that all children will know multiplication and division facts for all tables up to 12 x 12 by the end of the year; this is of particular importance, as all Year 4s will take part in the MTC – Multiplication Tables Check towards the end of the school year. A wide range of tables games and activities take place regularly in lessons. We would welcome any help you can give your child with this learning – short, sharp bursts of practice are often the most effective.
Spelling activities involve the learning of words from the high frequency list (200 most common words), the Y3/4 word list from the National Curriculum and Y4 spelling rules and patterns. In school, we will use spelling zappers to work on personalised spellings for each individual child, which will be based on words they are unsure of on an ongoing basis. Each week as part of homework, we will provide a list of 5 spellings, which will consist of a mixture of High Frequency Words, Y3/4 words and spelling rule words. Rather than a weekly spelling test, at the end of each half term, we will have a mini quiz to see how the children have progressed! This will be a random selection from words sent home over the half-term, which will in turn provide us with continued spelling targets for the children.
Outdoor P.E. is on a Monday and indoor P.E is on a Friday for all Year 4 classes. We would like all children to come dressed in their PE kit on those days. Please ensure your child wears the correct and appropriate PE kit (white t-shirt and dark coloured shorts). This may include leggings / jogging bottoms and jumpers where appropriate. We try to do outdoor P.E. in most weathers so please ensure that your child has extra layers, hats and gloves for colder days!
The Y4 team
- Y4 – Autumn 2 – Curriculum Jigsaw – 2023
- Y4 – Autumn 2 – Knowledge Organiser – Good Vibrations Y4 (2023)
- Y4 – Autumn 2 – Knowledge Organiser – Let it Glow Y4 (2023)
- Y4 – Autumn 1 – Curriculum Jigsaw
- Y4 – Autumn 1 – Knowledge Organiser – Romans – 2023
- Y4 – Summer 1 – Curriculum Jigsaw – 2023
- Y4 – Summer 1 – Knowledge Organiser – Let’s Go Wild – 2023
- Y4 – Spring 2 – Curriculum Jigsaw – 2023
- Y4 – Spring 2 – Knowledge Organiser – Sorcerer’s Apprentice & Water Cycle – 2023
- Y4 – Spring 1 – Curriculum Jigsaw – 2023
- Y4 – Spring 1 – Knowledge – Digestion and Teeth – 2023
- Y4 – Spring 1 – Knowledge Organiser – Lorax – 2023
- Y4 – Autumn 2 – Curriculum Jigsaw – 2022
- Y4 – Autumn 2 – Knowledge Organiser – Let it Glow – 2022
- Y4 – Knowledge Organiser – Good Vibrations- 2022
- Y4 – Autumn 1 – Curriculum Jigsaw – 2022
- Y4 – Autumn 1 – Knowledge Organiser – Romans