Welcome to Year 4
Our three classes are known as Eagles, Owls and Hawks, all based around a ‘Birds of Prey’ theme. We hope to inspire and engage our pupils during the year, teach them good study habits and foster a kind approach to those around them.
This year we are starting to set all our homework tasks on Google Classroom.
This will be set on Friday and should be handed in online on the following Wednesday. Some homework will be discrete activities and some will be ongoing practice of basic skills like spellings and times tables.
The children are encouraged to read for a short time 4 times a week. We ask parents or carers to sign the reading record book to say that this has been achieved. Children then hand in their reading record on Friday morning to earn their ‘Fab 4’ (see reading record book for details).
The children have login details so that they can access a wide variety of books on this online resource. They can read these books as part of their Fab 4 reading achievements. The questions that are asked about the texts provide very useful comprehension practice.
Children need to build in weekly rehearsal of tables up to 12 x 12. The aim is that all children will know multiplication and division facts for all tables up to 12 x 12 by the end of the year; this is of particular importance this year as 2021 will be the first year that all Year 4s will take part in the National Times Tables Test (or MTC – Multiplication Tables Check). A wide range of tables games and activities take place regularly in lessons. We would welcome any help you can give your child with this learning – short, sharp bursts of practice are often the most effective.
Spelling activities involve the learning of words a) belonging to the high frequency list, b) on the Y3/4 word list from the Primary Curriculum and c) with particular patterns.
The initial spelling work will focus around recapping on high frequency words, after which we will move on to using zappers to either rehearse HF words not already learnt or learning Y3/4 words.
As term continues, children will be given sets of words with specific patterns to learn for tests every 2 weeks on a Friday. The children will be given time at school to practise and should reinforce their learning at home.
The children will be able to access this online homework site for maths. It is self-marked for immediate feedback and teachers can see that the work set has been completed. MyMaths is not set every week but is often set to reinforce the current maths lessons. Separate information will be provided. Their password from Y3 will continue to be used in Y4.
Indoor P.E is on a Friday and outdoor P.E. is on a Monday afternoon. We would like all children to come dressed in their PE kit on those days. This obviously needs to include leggings / jogging bottoms and jumpers so children are warm enough for outdoor break and lunchtime. If for any reason your child needs to be excused from the session, we just ask that you write a note to hand in on the day. We try to do outdoor P.E. in most weathers so please ensure that your child has extra layers, hats and gloves for colder days!
The Y4 team
- Y4 – Curriculum Jigsaw – Autumn 2 – 2021/22
- Y4 – Knowledge Organiser – Autumn 2 – Controlled Lightning Y4 – 2021/22
- Y4 – Knowledge Organiser – Autumn 2 – Good Vibrations Y4 2021/22
- Y4 – Autumn 1 – 2021 – Curriculum Jigsaw
- Y4 – Autumn 1 – 2021 – Key Vocabulary – Romans
- Y4 – Summer 2 – 2021- Curriculum Jigsaw
- Y4 – Summer 2 – 2021 – Key Vocabulary – Here Come the Vikings
- Y4 – Summer 1 – 2021 – Curriculum Jigsaw
- Y4 – Summer 1 – 2021 – Key Vocabulary – Let’s Go Wild
- Y4 – Spring 2 – 2021 – Curriculum Jigsaw
- Y4 – Spring 2 – 2021 – Sorcerer’s Apprentice (states of matter).
- Y4 – Spring 1 – 2021 – Curriculum Jigsaw
- Y4 – Spring 1 – 2021 – Key Vocabulary – Lorax
- Y4 – Spring 1 – 2021 – Digestion
- Y4 – Spring 1 – 2021 – Sorcerer’s Apprentice (states of matter)
- Y4 – Autumn 2 – 2020 – Curriculum Jigsaw
- Y4 – Autumn 2 – 2020 – Let it Glow
- Y4 – Autumn 2 – 2020 – Good Vibrations
- Y4 – Autumn 1 – 2020 – Curriculum Jigsaw
- Y4 – Autumn 1 – 20202 – Key Vocabulary – Science
- Y4 – Autumn 1 – 20202 – Key Vocabulary – Romans