Welcome to Y5
We’d like to offer you a warm welcome to Year 5. The three classes are known as Stingrays, Seahorses and Starfish, all based around a coral reef theme. In year 5 your child has become part of the ‘Upper School’ and so we are expecting a degree of independence from them. We are also hopeful that they will be role-models for the other children within the school.
As a team we want to inspire and engage our pupils, teach them good study habits and foster a kind approach to those around them.
Children receive their homework every Friday and we ask for it to be returned the following Wednesday. It may contain MyMaths, Bug Club or be an activity to be handed in physically. They will be given a reminder of any passwords.
Each fortnight the children will have a spelling list to learn based around a spelling rule. We ask that the children put some time into practising these spellings throughout the week. Alternatively we may have a few weeks where we use the spelling zappers as a way of learning high frequency words. These will generally be in place of the formal list.
Reading is an ongoing expectation and we begin the year with a reading Challenge whereby the children get their names put in a raffle to be drawn out at the end of the term.
Times tables: please encourage your child to practise their times tables up to 12×12 as often as possible. This will be backed up in class.
P.E will be as follows
Stingrays/Starfish/Seahorses: Thursday AM (Indoor)/ Monday PM (Outdoor)
Please ensure your child has the correct kit for each session. If for any reason your child needs to be excused from the session, we just ask that you write a note to hand in on the day.
We very much look forward to getting to know and working with your child.
The Y5 team
- Y5 – Autumn 2 – Curriculum Jigsaw – 2023
- Y5 – Autumn 2 – Knowledge Organiser – Space Y5 2023
- Y5 – Autumn 1 – Curriculum Jigsaw – 2023
- Y5 – Autumn 1 – Knowledge Organiser – Ancient Greece – 2023
- Y5 – Summer 2 – Knowledge Organiser – Egglympics – 2023
- Y5 – Summer 1 – Curriculum Jigsaw – 2023
- Y5 – Summer 1 – Knowledge Organiser – Sheffield Flood – 2023
- Y5 – Spring 2 – Curriculum Jigsaw – 2023
- Y5 – Spring 2 – Knowledge Organiser – The Miracle Maker – 2023
- Y5 – Spring 1 – Curriculum Jigsaw – 2023
- Y5 – Spring 1 – Knowledge Organiser – Mountains – 2023
- Y5 – Autumn 2 – Curriculum Jigsaw – 2022
- Y5 – Autumn 2 – Knowledge Organiser – Space – 2022
- Y5 – Autumn 1 – Curriculum Jigsaw – 2022
- Y5 – Knowledge Organiser – Ancient Greece – 2022