Dear Parents / Carers,
Welcome to Year 3! Our three classes are known as Squirrels, Foxes and Hedgehogs, all based around a ‘woodland creatures’ theme. We aim to build new relationships in Year 3 by developing teamwork skills and promoting our school values of positivity, kindness and respect.
All homework tasks will be set on Google Classroom. A reminder of all passwords for the online platforms that we use will be stuck into their reading records.
Homework will be set on Friday and aimed to be completed by the following Friday.
Some homework will be discrete activities and there will be ongoing practice of basic skills like listening to your child read, spellings and times tables.
Reading at home
Reading books go home every day and children should fill in their reading record each time they are listened to/read independently. We would like an adult to sign the books, not the children themselves. We also would like reading books to come into school every day for the times that they are heard by an adult in school.
Here, children can access a wide variety of books on this online resource. They can read these books as part of their Fab 4 reading achievements. The questions that are asked about the texts provide very useful comprehension practice.
Y3 Reading incentives:
Our home reading incentive is called ‘Fab Four’. Parents are asked to share a book with their child four times a week and then sign their reading record book; this could be listening to your child read to you or you reading to your child. Even if your child is a fluent reader, it is very beneficial to share books and discuss the content. On a Friday, if your child has four signatures, they receive a ‘Fab Four’ stamp/sticker.
We begin the year with revision of 2, 5 and 10 times tables and then move on to the 3 and 4 and 8 times table. We will teach the children to know both multiplication and division facts (e.g. both 3 x 4 = 12 and 12 ÷ 3 = 4). Regular practise of these will aid children’s learning in other areas of the maths curriculum.
Times Tables Rockstars
This is a useful online platform for the children to practise times tables. This resource will be introduced to the children in class.
The children will be able to access this online homework site for maths. It is self-marking for immediate feedback and teachers can see that the work set has been completed. MyMaths is not set every week but is often set to reinforce the current maths lessons. There are also lots of games that children can use themselves, including times tables practice.
Outdoor PE is on a Wednesday and Indoor PE is on a Monday. Please arrive at school in correct PE kit for the day: white t-shirt, blue or black shorts (no brands), trainers, long hair tied back and no jewellery please.
For more information about other areas of the curriculum, please see the knowledge organisers and curriculum jigsaws for each half term on the main website. If you have any questions about Year 3, please contact email@example.com or pop in and see us at the end of the day.
Mrs Earl and Mrs Sutcliffe (Squirrels’ class teachers)
Mrs Biggs and Mrs Southern (Foxes’ class teachers)
Mrs Marlow (Hedgehogs’ class teacher).
- Y3 – Autumn 2 – Curriculum Jigsaw 2023
- Y3 – Autumn 2 – Knowledge Organiser – 1. Funny Bones
- Y3 – Autumn 2 – Knowledge Organiser – 2. Christingle
- Y3 – Autumn 1 – Curriculum Jigsaw
- Y3 – Autumn 1 – Knowledge Organiser – 1. Good To Be Me
- Y3 – Autumn 1 – Knowledge Organiser – 2. Eat Happy
- Y3 – Summer 2 – Curriculum Jigsaw – 2023
- Y3 – Summer 2-1 – Knowledge Organiser – Plantastic – 2023
- Y3 – Summer 2-2 – Knowledge Organiser – Besides the Seaside – 2023
- Y3 – Summer 1 – Curriculum Jigsaw – 2023
- Y3 – Summer 1-1 – Knowledge Organiser – We Will Rock You – 2023
- Y3 – Summer 1-2 – Knowledge Organiser – Stone Age Bone Age – 2023
- Y3 – Spring 2 – Curriculum Jigsaw – 2023
- Y3 – Spring 2 – Key Vocabulary – Magnetism – 2023
- Y3 – Spring 2 – Key Vocabulary – Light – 2023
- Y3 – Spring 1 – Curriculum Jigsaw – 2023
- Y3 – Spring 1 – Key Vocabulary – Wonderful Things 2022
- Y3 – Spring 1 – Key Vocabulary – Judaism 2022
- Y3 – Autumn 2 – Curriculum Jigsaw – 2022
- Y3 – Autumn 2 – Key Vocabulary – Funny Bones – 2022
- Y3 – Autumn 1 – Curriculum Jigsaw – 2022
- Y3 – Autumn 1 – Key Vocabulary – Eat Happy – 2022
- Y3 – Autumn 1 – Key Vocabulary – Good to be Me – 2022
Letters and Other Information